Monday, November 25, 2019

Saucony and me

Back in the early 80's, when I started running seriously -- going high mileage, looking ahead to, and finally joining races -- I set my eyes on what was then the popular shoes among local fast guys, Sauconys. Though not as fast as they were, I wanted to have a pair of shoes more fitted for running than what I had been wearing on the my feet so far. For one, they would make me feel more like a really serious runner, if not fast. I bought my first pair of Jazz with the triangular lugs on the outsole. They were nice on the feet, snug and cushy. I loved them and ran in them for years. Shoes were more durable then.

The original Saucony Jazz, my first 'serious' running shoes

If I remember right I went through a couple of pairs before trying out another brand.

It was not until 2013 that I wore Sauconys again. I got myself a pair of Virrata while in Manila and immediately ran in them the following morning. The lightness and the barefoot feel were definitely wonderful, but the 5-and-1 running I was doing easily took it's toll on the shoes. I soon had to get myself a pair of shoes, not Sauconys, that would better keep up with the demands of my daily runs.

I did training runs in this pair of Saucony Virratas in 2013

On that same year, I got myself a pair of blue Saucony Type A5s which I used on a number of training runs and an 18-kilometer race where I placed 12th of 170 runners. The super light weight and fast feel of the shoes were really something.

Light and fast, the Saucony Type A5s were on my feet in this 2013 18-kilometer race.


Yes, 6 years after I had my last pair of Sauconys, I am renewing my ties with this great shoe brand. Today I got this pair of blue and black Saucony Kinvara 10s I purchased online. I immediately unboxed it and tried it out - light and comfy for a first impression. The forefoot really felt really roomy. I also like the simple, no frills look. Even now I am looking forward to kilometers of good runs in this new pair, and lot more kilometers of running than what I had in the Virratas and the A5s.I also suppose trying out the A9s this time around isn't such a bad idea.

Thanks for the prompt delivery, by the way, Saucony Philippines.

On my feet soon, Kinvara 10s

No comments:

What matters is the run

 For the past two weeks, I have been running in my more than two years old pair of Saucony Kinvara 10s. They still felt good through several...