Monday, January 04, 2021

A better year? Hopefully...

A better year? Hopefully...

With the coronavirus pandemic and everything that came with it, I do not think anyone will call 2020 a great year.

It caused lockdowns which affected business, schools, even sports and leisure activities. Plans were waylaid by the pandemic for many. I was looking ahead to running a marathon again this December and maybe a half before that. But this was not to be. The pandemic happened and the restrictions on movement came with the varying degrees of quarantine imposed by the government. Simply put, no running for close to two months.

Even now, there are no races for the running masses. Events are limited to elites and with limited audiences as well. The recent Hakone Ekiden, a big event in Japan, was held on almost empty streets. Thousands used to line the streets to watch the much-awaited long-distance relay race from Tokyo to Hakone and back.

Looking back, I closed 2020 with a 200-kilometer total mileage for December. Since after the restrictions were lifted in May, I logged 748 kilometers until the end of the year. I put in 392 kilometers between January 2 and the start of the lockdowns in March. Despite the close to two months of not running, that's still 1,140 kilometers put in for the year. Not bad, I suppose.

My retirement from work has given me more time for running. I don't run as fast or as long as I did but at 65 years old, to still be able to put in 200 kilometers in a month is something. So, I'd say it's still a fairly good year overall. Like most, I look forward to a better 2021. I hope to run better. Log faster times, longer distances, and be able to race for real again. 

To start off my running this year, I did a slow 10k this morning. It was cold and there was a slight shower. I ran for a little more than an hour. Not bad for a first run.  


My playground awaits!




No comments:

What matters is the run

 For the past two weeks, I have been running in my more than two years old pair of Saucony Kinvara 10s. They still felt good through several...